8 Ways You Can Improve Your Mobile App Development Process
The increased use of smartphones and the exponential rise of the mobile app market, is causing businesses of all shapes and sizes, all over the world, to offer new mobile services to their customers, employees, and executives. With the corresponding need for mobile app development comes a massive drive to increase productivity and agility in the development process.
To speed up delivery and ensure the highest level of productivity, it is important that developers focus on improving the coding development process.
8 best practices
Here are 8 ways you can increase productivity, agility, and speed:
- Focus on the use case. It’s important for developers to understand as much as they can about the use case of the app and the pains and problems of the end user. According to Thomas Grassl, SAP’s VP of Developer Relations, it’s important to walk away from the keyboard and imagine the end user. Think about the simplest approach to solving their problem.
- Use “design thinking.” According to Fast Company, design thinking is a proven and repeatable process that anyone can use to achieve extraordinary problem-solving results. Design thinking means considering all the options to solve a well-defined problem and then experimenting to find the best approach.
- Partner with designers. Design thinking grew out of an analysis of how amazing designs are achieved. So it is an innate skill possessed by many designers. By partnering with designers who are considering the user experience, developers can ensure that they create a beautiful app with a beautiful and efficient code base.
- Keep it simple. App developers can get carried away with the development process. Developers should concentrate on the most important features of the app. They need to take advantage of online tools, open source software, and numerous cloud services to create an app that appeals to a widest possible audience.
- Don’t forget the back end. While it’s critical to understand the user, work with designers, and simplify the development process, back-end development is just as important. Developers need to consider data transfer, security, accessibility, and user permissions, as well as future app maintenance as devices, operating systems, frameworks, and even app stores change.
- Implement code maximums.Specific tasks need unique classes. Consider limiting classes to a maximum of 100 lines to ease the maintenance and update process later.
- Use automated QA and testing routines. Automation tools and routines can test the lines of code as soon as they are written while you move on to the next line or class.
- Consider responsiveness. By shifting foreground threads to background threads and separating threads for different queries, you can improve the response time of the app.
As a developer, you can be tempted to sit down and start banging out code. You’re a problem solver, and the steps mentioned above may take time away from actual coding. However, as the pressure to be both faster and more efficient in your mobile app development process increases, these steps can help you create the most effective mobile app for the end user, simplify the process, and save time in the end.
The best way to learn how to build amazing mobile apps is to learn by doing. With SAP Cloud Platform, user-based packages, apps are easy to build and the process is much quicker. Click here to get access to a free (for production) account and try it out!